As noted by the Environmental Protection Agency, a growing number of businesses across the country are demonstrating leadership by reducing their environmental impact. For example, they’re:
- Reducing overall energy consumption, such as dimming the lights during the summer or turning off printers, shredders and other equipment when not in use.
- Purchasing ENERGY STAR-qualified products (learn more about these products on the ENERGY STAR website).
- Encouraging and/or providing incentives for employees to carpool, as well as offering occasional remote working options to cut down on commuting.
- Implementing in-office recycling programs, and educing employees on what they can do at work and at home.
- Relying more on “green” power, which are renewable energy resources and technologies that provide the highest environmental benefit.
However, there’s another key way that your business can reduce its environmental impact: factor it into your office move! Below, we highlight 3 smart, practical and effective ways to achieve this goal.
Donate decommissioned used furniture
Each year across the countries, landfills are loaded with used furniture – everything from chairs, to workstations, to cubicles and the list goes on.
Instead of adding to the burden, you can donate unwanted/surplus items to a local charity, which may either use it themselves, or in many cases, refurbish and sell it in order to generate revenue to fund their important work in the community. Either way, you’re helping make a positive difference and setting a great example.
Recycle decommissioned furniture
It may not be possible to donate all items of decommissioned furniture. However, rather than sending them to a landfill, the metal and wood can be disassembled and recycled – leaving behind less to go into a landfill.
Recycle all recovered packing material
A great deal of packing material – including cardboard, paper, Styrofoam and so on – can be recycled after your office move. This is far more environmentally friendly than bagging it for conventional trash pick-up, where it will end up in a landfill.
If you choose Precision as your office relocation partner, we’ll help you demonstrative leadership and reduce the environmental impact of your business move by:
- helping you identify items that can donated, and finding local charities that will be glad to receive your generous donation
- recycling on your behalf items that can’t be donated
- recollecting all paper/packaging after your business move, and preparing them properly (using bales and pallets, etc.) for efficient pick-up
To learn more, contact the Precision team today. Your consultation is free.
For more information on how to move your office in five easy steps, download our FREE eBook: