Comparing Used vs. New Office Furniture
While finding the right space is (obviously) the biggest challenge when it comes to a business move, there’s another question that needs to be answered before you head to your new home: should your take your existing office furniture or buy new office furniture?
As you might expect, there’s no standard answer to this question. Rather, there are several variables and factors to consider.
To help you make the right decision, below we highlight 4 reasons why you may want to move your existing furniture, and 4 reasons why it may make more sense to buy new furniture:
4 Reasons to Keep Existing Office Furniture
- It’s (usually) cheaper than buying new. Depending on the size of your workforce and the amount of furniture involved, the savings could be significant – running well into the tens or even hundreds of thousands.
- You can refurbish/repair some existing furniture to make it more functional and aesthetically appealing. Of course, there’s a cost involved here, but chances are it’ll be significantly lower than buying new (though not always if the furniture is really worn down, broken, or is an older model and getting replacement parts could be difficult).
- Used furniture helps out the environment, since new furniture uses raw materials and the manufacturing process creates a carbon footprint.
- Moving existing furniture can help earn you LEED points, which you can use towards achieving certification – which is a great way to impress customers and demonstrate social responsibility.
4 Reasons to Buy New Office Furniture
- You can truly mark a new chapter in your business’s history and create a fresh look and style. This also makes a great impression on your customers and your employees.
- You don’t have to worry if your existing furniture may not fit your new space (e.g. workstations may be too high or wide, tables may be too long, etc.).
- You don’t have to deal with a mix-and-match of different furniture styles and colors (i.e. old furniture mixing in with new).
- You’ll have a warranty with your new furniture, which will help protect your investment for years to come.
The Bottom Line
Deciding to move your existing office furniture or buy new office furniture is an important decision, and one that you want to make well in advance.
For additional guidance, download our FREE flowchart entitled: “When Moving, Should You Take Your Current Office Furniture?” It’s a simple and easy way to help you determine which items of existing furniture should come along to your new home, and which items should be donated, sold, or recycled/disposed.